James Brothers Funeral Directors Ltd

James Brothers Funeral Directors Ltd James Brothers is the oldest Independent Funeral Directors in the South Hams and Plymouth area, having been run by the same family since the 1850's

James Brothers is the oldest family owned independent Funeral Directors in the Plymouth area. It was established in the mid 1800's by Ned (Edward James) who lived in the small village of Brixton and where his descendants still live today. As with many early rural Funeral Directors it was initially an extension of the main profession of the individual, and was passed down through the generations. From Ned to his son Harold, then to Allan who in turn passed it on to his half-brother Ralph and now to Tim. Although the business has always be centralised in Brixton recent events meant that it had to move and relocated to Colebrook in Plympton, although its spiritual home remains in Brixton, where Tim lives with his family,

14/10/2025

Due to ongoing health issues, the office will be closed on 17th and 31st of October.

The phones will be open 24 hours as normal, and there will be someone available to help.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Address

Leeds House, Colebrook Road, Colebrook, Plympton
Plymouth
PL74AA

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when James Brothers Funeral Directors Ltd posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Practice

Send a message to James Brothers Funeral Directors Ltd:

Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest Share on Reddit Share via Email
Share on WhatsApp Share on Instagram Share on Telegram

Our Story

James Brothers Funeral Directors is the Plymouth areas oldest small independent Funeral Directors in the Plymouth area, having been established in Brixton, around 1870 by Ned (Edward James).

Although at the start Funeral Directing was not exactly a business per se, rather an extension of an existing profession, in Ned’s case carpentry, it was something that would grow into a profession over time.

The business passed from Ned to his son Harold who saw sweeping changes as where once all the villages would have had their own Undertakers, the improvement in transport meant that a single Directors would find themselves covering multiple villages. Harold retired reluctantly in 1960 and his son Allan took over, provisioning it with it’s own set of cars, and latterly a Chapel of Rest. The business then passed to his half brother Ralph in 1996, who ran it with his wife Penny from their home, The Grindstone in Brixton. In 2002, their son Tim joined them and in 2017, realising that Ralph was beginning to struggle with the everyday running of things, they began to look for a premises away from the family home. Although they could not find anything in Brixton, they discovered a new home in Colebrook, Plympton.

In 2018, with Ralph battling ill health Tim took over a bit more suddenly than was expected, and now runs things from their offices at Leeds House. He is, however, determined not to break ties with the village and lives there with his family.